The ancient city is located below the southern part of the modern town Yeni Şakran in the district of Aliağa near İzmir. During Classical time it was a member of the 12 Aeolian Cities and famous for its Temple of Apollon. French archaologists launched a brief excavation in 1883. During the constructions of the road between İzmir and Canakkale the necropolis in the southeastern part of the settlement was destroyed. The Museum of Pergamon carried out an emergency excavation in 1973, so did the Museum of İzmir in 1992. Finds have been collected by the Museum in İzmir but are not published. Jürgen Dreihaus mentioned a few pieces of Bronze Age ceramics that he found on the peninsula.
Literature: Dreihaus 1957; Özkan 1994; Horejs 2010« All sites
Latitude, Longitude: 38.876750, 27.062317